The Armour of God

Iaorana tatou! This week was a nice pick me up, because after weeks and weeks of struggling to find people to teach, we finally foun...

Iaorana tatou!

This week was a nice pick me up, because after weeks and weeks of struggling to find people to teach, we finally found quite a few new investigators! We contacted some old investigators, we changed up our normal routine, we went into a neighborhood we rarely go to. It was nice to see new blood and fresh views haha. We also talked to an abnormal number of Jehovah's Witnesses, so that was interesting. But He- was out of town and we didn't see him all week, so that was weird. We finally ran into him yesterday so we'll have a lesson with him tomorrow. 

We had success as we took advantage of those "go-for-it" moments. We contacted a reference, and as we were leaving, we saw a woman selling fruit and talked to her. She was hesitant at first but after talking for a while we were laughing like we were best friends. We tried to visit an inactive member, but he wasn't there. Then we heard people next door, so we went for it and turns out it's a couple from Huahine (another island). One is a member, the other a former investigator but since coming to Mahina a year ago, they haven't been to church or taken lessons because they don't know anyone in our ward. They didn't end up coming to church yesterday, but we should be able to meet with them this week. We called up a bunch of former investigators, and one of them when she answered and we said it was the missionaries, she said "oh yes I can tell by your accents" and we asked if she'd like to meet with us and she said why not! She went for it. And turns out since taking the lessons (well, only one lesson actually) a year or two ago, only a few months ago she picked up that Book of Mormon that the sisters gave her and she's been reading and feels the Spirit as she reads it!

Happy Mother's Day! Skyping my family was lovely, and can't wait to see them face to face very soon ;)

I learned a great lesson this week, which is summed up well in Ephesians 6:11-17: "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Actually the lesson I learned is quite simple and something we already theoretically know, but I saw it put in practice this week. 

One day this week I was just having a rough day. (And no, it's not just because I was hungry) I felt impatient and stressed and I was having a lot of negative thoughts that I knew weren't true but kept coming anyway (which made me feel even worse because as much as I tried they were still there). (It wasn't a completely awful day, we had blessings as well, but still) Anyway, I made it through but it was rough. The next day, however, we still ran in to some of the same problems and trials, the same negative thoughts crossed my mind as the day before but I kept trying and I felt much more patient. The third day and fourth day were even better and situations that normally stress me out didn't bother me as much. It wasn't perfect, but it was better. So what made the difference? 

Well looking back, I noticed that the first day, my personal scripture studies that morning, even though I still studied the whole hour, were not very effective or focused. I went through the motions but didn't learn much. And the second day my studies were very uplifting and reminded me of things that I really needed to hear. That first day, amid the negative thoughts, I knew that they weren't true and came from the adversary, but despite my efforts they stuck anyway. But the second day when the same trials and thoughts came, this time I had put on the whole armor of God, the sword of the Spirit: the word of God. My studies of the scriptures (the word of God) had literally equipped me to "stand against the wiles of the devil." I think I recognized this the evening of the second day, so I was ready the days that followed to do everything I could to cherish that time to read the scriptures and, combined with constant efforts to be positive, I was blessed with more strength. Even at church yesterday, I tried to be more attentive, knowing that the lessons and messages at church help me to "more fully keep myself unspotted from the world" (D&C 59:9). I'm sure there will always be rough days, but I learned an important tool to keep myself prepared when those moments come: not just reading the scriptures, but effectively studying them. Try the experiment, it could help you too!

Love you all!
Soeur Ladd

0 comments