I Direct A Choir (Almost)

Raiatea district: on the boat on the way to the motu Iaorana tatou! Blessing number 147 from serving on Raiatea: quality time with Pr...

Raiatea district: on the boat on the way to the motu

Iaorana tatou!

Blessing number 147 from serving on Raiatea: quality time with President and Soeur Bize. When I was on Tahiti I only saw them during conferences or interviews, but last week they were with our district for a whole three days! As I said, they gave a fireside in our ward on Sunday, and we also had the privilege of inviting them to a few lessons on Sunday afternoon. The Spirit was so strong as President Bize testified of the priesthood and the importance of the temple to Papi P. Then on Monday they joined us for frisbee, choir practice (will explain later) and a nice car ride as we looked for a tourist sight that is of course not at all marked so we ended up just driving around. Highlights are President Bize trying out Elder T's bike and singing a nice jazz rendition of Redeemer of Israel, and Soeur Bize helping us attempt to break into the chapel because we didn't have the keys and all the members were at work. Tuesday we had our zone conference which was really awesome of course.

So the first or second week after I arrived on Raiatea, we ate dinner with Brother and Sister M and I mentioned the missionary concerts that we did on Tahiti. They said that we should do the same thing here. I told them we only had 10 missionaries here, when on Tahiti we were 100. They said do it anyway! So we did! I took the same theme we used for the concerts on Tahiti - the Light of Christ - and we sang hymns such as:

Hark, all ye nations!Hear heaven's voiceThru ev'ry land that all may rejoice!Angels of glory shout the refrain:Truth is restored again!Oh, how glorious from the throne aboveShines the gospel light of truth and love!Bright as the sun, this heavenly rayLights ev'ry land today.

Gotta love the hymnbook. (I appreciate that in French Polynesia, the hymnbook is a like another book of scripture. Everyone brings their own hymnbook to church along with their Bible and Book of Mormon) Anyway, It was stressful and we didn't have enough time to practice but it was fun! Turns out I don't really know how to direct a choir so Soeur Temauri graciously helped us at the last minute and I got to sing too.

As I mentioned the other week, President's challenge this month was about our lessons with members present, and our zone succeeded! It's been over a year since Raromatai has won a challenge, so it's a miracle for us! And this challenge has really helped boost Uturoa, we've had a lot of miracles through our work with members. For example, we visited some friends of the U family on Saturday, and Soeur U's mother accepted the missionary lessons for the first time ever. We also visited D and R, who had taken the lessons before but weren't very serious. Halfway through the lesson, Soeur M abruptly changed the subject to baptism and we taught about Christ's baptism - by immersion and by priesthood authority. They have a lot of questions now and wonder if their (Protestant) baptism even counts. I can't wait to meet with them again and help them find peace for their family through the gospel of Jesus Christ. Side-note, a few weeks ago Soeur K and I took a few moments before heading home to appreciate the sunset at the dock by our house. A young girl came and sat with us. Being missionaries, we of course talked to her about faith and how she's a daughter of God. When she sees us in the neighborhood now she says "hey it's the popaa!" (caucasian) Turns out she's D and R's daughter!

Anyway things are going great here in Uturoa! Can't believe I'm almost halfway through my mission. My faith grows stronger everyday and I know Heavenly Father is always there for us. A scripture that always helps me when I'm feeling discouraged is my 'mission scripture,'. Doctrine and Covenants 68:6, which says, "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."

He is with us! He stands by us!
Ua here au ia outou!

Soeur Ladd

on the motu

at the concert, in 'downtown' Uturoa next to the market


0 comments